Friday, September 4, 2009

I'm Ready for my Close-up!

I often think about what the best form of marketing is for a realtor. Print Ads are becoming passé with so much available online. However with so many online options it is hard to know just what is best. Obviously blogging is one I am using but a few years ago I ended up with an interesting client that turned into quite a lot of business including referrals from a tried and true but often forgotten media.

I received a call one day from a mysterious woman that said she would like me to sell her property. She would not give me her name just the address of the property and we arranged to meet there. (Of course I made sure it was broad daylight and had a co-agent watching from another car just in case it was trouble.) I did my homework on the address and discovered who the owner was and could only assume that from the voice on the phone it was this individual meeting me.

I arrived early; she pulled up driving herself in a black Lexus with heavily tinted windows. When she got out of the car she was quite elderly and had on large dark glasses and a scarf. I introduced myself and we headed into the property. She kept her dark glasses and scarf on the entire time we were there. I had a price opinion ready based on the condition of the property prior to my arrival and when we walked out she asked me for that.

By this time I was pretty sure whom I was meeting with and when we were ready to part I called her by name. She spun around and said, “How do you know who I am?” I told her I looked up the property, as the call was so mysterious I was concerned about security. She took off her glasses and looked me straight in the eye and said, “No one is to know who I am.” I agreed and told her all of my clients enjoy the same confidentiality.

Fast forward through two transactions and we had become well acquainted. I was listing a third property for her and asked how she had ever come to call me in the first place. She said she was taking her morning walk; saw one of my signs with my picture on the flier. She thought I had very good trusting eyes. Coming from this individual I thought how ironic!

The point:
Do not overlook your “face” value. Have a CURRENT picture of yourself. The entire public jokes about how, when they meet the realtor, they do not recognize them from the picture that appears to have been taken 20+ years earlier! Take a look at the heading of the post and, if you are of the age to remember this, you may have an idea of the famous Hollywood person whose daughter I was representing. She is gone now so if you do figure it out, I did not breach my confidentiality pledge!

As always feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have by clicking on the “View Complete Profile” button under “About Me” then Email me under the Contact Info. No worries, no pressure I will help you if I can, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment