Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Out of Control Ego

Saturday I met an agent with an ego that demanded attention no matter what the cost.

We had an appointment for her buyers to meet at a listing of mine. The Buyers showed up on time and I introduced myself and made innocuous conversation while we waited on her. After a phone call with no answer I proceeded to show them the home.

After 20 minutes she showed up and blew in like the world was on fire. She did not introduce herself or apologize for her late arrival but her client commented on her tardiness and she explained she was very busy having sold 23 homes last week.

I chose to move on from such an obvious bid for attention if not an out right lie and mentioned to the Buyers that my Sellers had left them a few bottles of wine in the wine room. Their agent quickly started to review the wine and said, "Well I have 100 bottles of wine at all times."

I saw no reason to engage such an insecure ego and decided to use it as a reminder to myself to not take myself too seriously and most of all to be honest and simply apologize if I am late. Whatever happened to honestly and just plain being nice? I was actually embarrassed for her.

1 comment: